An alternative and enhanced version of the Slimming World ‘chicken tikka masala’. Tastes as good as the real thing (unless you love double cream) and “syn” free, I believe!
- 2/3 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- cooking spray or oil, as needed for cooking
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh root ginger
- 2/5 jar Pataks® tikka masala spice paste
- 100ml water
- 500g chicken breast fillet, diced or sliced
- 300g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 lime, zested and halved
- 20g fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 150g natural yoghurt (fat free if dieting)
Prep:20min › Cook:40min › Ready in:1hr
- Fry the cumin seeds in a little hot oil until they’ve cracked and popped (about 30 seconds). Add the onion and gently fry until softening then add the pepper, garlic, ginger and curry paste and fry gently for about 2 minutes.
- Add approximately 100ml of water, mix and continue to fry until the water has mostly evaporated. Add the chicken and cook and stir until the chicken has sealed and has a white surface all over.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, squeeze in the juice of the lime, add the lime zest, add the coriander and stir. Simmer gently for 15 to 20 minutes until thickened. When the chicken is no longer pink in the centre and the sauce has reduced, remove from heat and stir in the yoghurt.
Serve with chips (or Slimming World chips) and or rice, plus some steamed green beans (if going for a Slimming World compliant meal).