Our slimming friendly Coconut and Lemon Curd Cake is a slice of proper cake and delicious whether you’re calorie counting or following a plan like Weight Watchers.
For the cake
- 6 eggs
- 245 g fat free Greek yoghurt or low fat fromage frais
- 85 g honey
- 85 g Sweet Freedom Fruit Syrup Dark
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 112 g coconut flour sifted
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 pinch salt
- low calorie cooking spray
For the lemon curd
- 3 tbsp granulated sweetener natural sugar alternative, or granulated sweetener
- 1 lemon juice and zest
- 2 large eggs
- 55 g quark
- For the topping
- 150 g quark
- 5 tsp granulated Sweetener natural icing sugar alternative
- 1 tsp vanilla extrac
TO MAKE THE CAKE
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Line the bottom of an 8″ loose base cake tin and spray with low calorie cooking spray. Spray the sides of the tin as well.
- Beat eggs, honey, Sweet Freedom Syrup, vanilla and yoghurt until well combined.
- In another dry bowl, combine all dry ingredients together.
- Combine the wet with the dry ingredients and stir until everything is evenly mixed.
- Allow it to sit for 2 or 3 minutes to let the coconut flour soak up some of the wet ingredients. The batter will be thick, but pourable.
- Pour the batter into a prepared pan. Bake in the centre of the oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Allow to cool for half an hour before carefully separating the sides of the cake from the pan, then inverting onto a cooling rack.
- The cake should cool completely before you cut it in half to layer it. Also, the flavour will be better when cold, so you can refrigerate it to get it cold before you add the curd.
- When the cake is cold, cut it in half and sandwich it together with the lemon curd (you can mix the curd with some quark if you want to like we did) then spread the topping all over the top and sides of cake. Refrigerate to chill the cake.
TO MAKE THE LEMON CURD
- You can make the lemon curd in advance and keep it in the fridge for about 5 days.
- Place the grated lemon rind and sweetener into a bowl. In another bowl, whisk the lemon juice and eggs together, then pour the mixture over the sweetener
- Place the bowl over a pan of barely simmering water, stirring frequently until thickened (takes 5-8 mins).
- Allow to cool slightly, and then mix in the quark / fromage frais, whisking until smooth.
FOR THE TOPPING
- Mix the quark, Sukrin powdered icing and vanilla extract together until smooth. You can add some more sweetener if you like.